This is my first experience with using a blog, and I must say, it wasn't as hard to set up or figure out as what I had originally thought. I never understood what the big deal about having a blog was, or why you would even really want to have one. My wife started one not too long ago and she LOVES adding new stuff every day (I think she is addicted now). It really is an easy way to keep in touch with all your friends and what is going on in their lives.
The RSS Reader on the other hand is something that I have never heard of. However, after seeing what it is and what it can actually do, I really like the idea of having one. How easy to just go to one site to see if anything new has been updated instead of going to all the individual sites. Definitely a time saver!
When I look at "The Cone of Experience" and try to put the blog into various levels, I see it falling into four levels. As far as using the blog as a teaching "tool", I feel it falls into a contrived experience because as it states in the article, contrived experience is "an 'editing' of reality." I feel that is exactly what a blog is. It can take the actual and put it into a summary of written verbal symbols (the tip of the cone). Finally, I feel that the blog can be seen as an exhibit that can use still pictures and videos to show something. Now I know that looking at a computer screen isn't a typical "exhibit", but as they put it in the reading, exhibits are "something seen by spectators." From what I have seen of blogs and understand about blogs, they are a chance for "spectators" to read a summary and view pictures or videos of what has been going on in peoples lives.
As far as the RSS goes, I think that the main concept is that it is a written verbal symbol of what each site has added. If you were to look at each individual site, then that site could be at any level in the cone. So I think that the RSS is wide open to many levels on the cone.
When I think of the RSS as being "imaginative", I feel its main purpose is to notify you of any new additions to a website (as far as I can tell). I think an RSS works really well in a class like this one, where you need to communicate through a blog. So to go to each individual blog and see if there is a new posting, that is way to time consuming, especially when time is very limited in a day. This works great for me! Finally, I was trying to think of a way to incorporate a blog as part of my math classes. I have a lot of students that are not able to stay after school for extra help or answer any questions that they might have. A blog might be a good answer to this problem (in response to Postman). I think this could be a great communication tool between my students and I, moreover, between students. That could be one use for a blog in my classes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jason,
ReplyDeleteThis was my first time using Blogs too! I didn't understand the big deal either! Have you thought about using a blog to communicate with parents? Or perhaps a collaborative student effort where students could actually build something using their math skills? They could involve pictures, video etc. How about linking up with another math class somewhere else in the world?! :) Kathy W
I like the time saving quality of the RSS feeds, too! No more wasting time going back to several sites, they are all on the same page!
ReplyDeleteDo most of your students have the internet at home? This past year, all of my students had access at home, therefore, a blog could actually work for communicating.
Jason,
ReplyDeleteI could not find a way to set up other blogs to update on my blog. It seemed you mentioned taht you can do that, can you explain how?
When I think about your idea of allowing students to ask questions through a homework blog that idea was one of mine as well. However, I am concerned that I will be attached to my computer once I get home from school. Next year, I am thinking of assinging homework on a weekly basis in my math class and having it due on Thursday. Maybe the blog oculd be something I tell student I will check on Wednesday night. Any suggestions??
Jason,
ReplyDeleteThis was first time for me to set up Blog and learned about RSS readers too. And I felt the same as you; it was easier than I expected. I like your idea of using Blog for communication tool with students. I sometimes feel that I do not have enough time for answering students’ questions during school time. Blog can be the one of the solution for that.
Hi Jason,
ReplyDeleteSetting the blog and rss is a lot easier than I thought it would be too. Linking up with another class somewhere would be great Like you I teach in a poor districtcommunicating with parents on a blog.
Mark P
ps: When is the big magic festival?
I think Magic week is Aug. 5-8, I think
ReplyDeleteHi Jason, I think the ideas we have for using blogs and RSS feeds in class seem to be very similar class-wide. However, one idea that you had that I thought was very unique was the idea of a blog as an exhibit. I hadn't thought of a blog that way, but when people are posting pictures of what is happening in their lives, it most certainly is an exhibit. Great thought!
ReplyDeleteDanelle Drake
Hello Jason,
ReplyDeleteLike you, I never used a blog before this assignment. I do have my own website, but it gets updated once a quarter during school. As I was thinking about what you had written that a teacher could use the blog for questions from students, kind of an open communication, this tool could be a great addition. I think though the blog should be through your school's website because you never know what students could write any kind of message.
Have a great week,
Karen
I think blogs are much more useful in a classroom environment than RSS feeds... at least from what I know now and the level of kids I have. BUT- what if you put a question on a blog and had students to respond for homework? Obviously it couldn't be something that was a one word answer because the 'discussion' would be useless. What about something broad for a "Back to School" type thing like- "Please post two ways you used some form of math this summer."
ReplyDeleteThat is something that each student should be able to think of and, after a week or so, you could go over all those different things with your class. You can gradually write a book to answer the question- "When will I ever use math after high school???"
Suzy
Hi Jason,
ReplyDeleteI looked at your link to free Algebra 1 Worksheets. I am going to use it to brush up on my math skills before I take the MTTC. Thanks a bunch!