Monday, July 13, 2009

D/B5

After reading the history of educational technology and seeing where, and how it started and seeing how far it has come, I absolutely believe that the Internet is going to have a huge impact on almost every area of education. Whether it be K-12, university level, or adult education, technology has already had a huge impact, and it can only improve. According to the reading (p. 22), the Internet has already been used a great deal for instructional purposes, especially in business and industry. Now I don't know if this is true or not, but someone told me that if you deliver for UPS, you have to shut off your truck when you get out and go to the doors, and if you don't, the people in the main office can tell. Like I said, I'm not sure if that is true, but if it is, there is only one way that that is possible, technology! I have one more UPS example. If you have ever ordered anything online and UPS is delivering it, you can track your package from the factory to your door. I'm not sure what we would do without the Internet, we can use it for almost anything.

As far as the Internet being useful throughout your education, kindergarden through college, I think that is pretty obvious. I mean without the Internet, I wouldn't be able to sit at home, save gas money and time, but never step foot into a classroom and still get a Masters Degree from Western. You have to love how far we have come in technology. I really feel like we all are going to agree that the Internet has already had a huge impact on education, I think the better question to ask is, "Is there limits as to how far we can go with technology, like the web?" I'm not sure that there is going to be an answer for that. After reading how far we have come since WWII, when films were high tech, and seeing first hand where we are now, the Internet might be a black and white TV compared to what is to come in the future. But until that day, the web is going to play a huge role in everyone's life, especially when it comes to their education.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, Jason. The sky is the limit in terms of ideas and we can only imagine. Remember, people thought we'd never fly, too! ;) I'm 54 years old and cannot imagine my life without a computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,

    I like your UPS example of tracking packages. The more I think about things such as banking, paying bills, receiving and sending mail/packages, I cannot help but think "How would i do this without the internet?" The answer typically would involve waiting (no fun), spending extra time to finish the task and/or spending more money.

    Again, it is obvious the relationship the internet has with higher education. If the web and technology has advanced so much that we can now do everything via our phone, what the next step might be is kind of scary to me. On that note, what will happen to those that refuse to conform to technology? Will they just be lost in the dust or will we still be able to accomodate the "old school ways?"


    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Jason. There is no way for me to take this course from the opposite of world without Internet (I currently live in Japan). I like your question of “is there limits as to how far we can to with technology, like the web?” I think the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete