Thursday, July 9, 2009

D/B4

When trying to think about photo sharing and its uses in the classroom, I sort of had a hard time coming up with ideas. I can definitely see using photo sharing in an art class as part of a photography unit. As far as using it in a math class, with some of the projects we do, I could use photos to help with the written and verbal instructions needed to complete the project. I really think this would work great with some of my special ed. students, as well. I think one major concern with using this is that the students might not use it as it was intended for. I know I have a few students that are a little more mischievious than normal. :) On the other hand, I think that it would be beneficial for parents to see what is going on in the classroom. If you get a chance to actually take pictures of your classes while they are working, I think it would be cool to see what is going on in class. It would be so easy, and convenient, to to get online and look at pictures rather than finding time to get into the classroom.

After reading chapter 2, I was drawn back to page 13 where it mentions the characteristics of intstuctional design. When I sit down and make up lesson plans for a specific unit, I really try to cover those six characteristics, even though I have never seen them before. At least after reading them, I feel that is what I am trying to accomplish from my lessons! I really try to do a lot of self discovery in my classes (and my textbook helps with those ideas), so I think my lessons are "learner centered." Next, I always have a goal, and that is usually how I start my lessons. I always tell the kids, "After today's activities, you will be able to........" Many of the things we do in class are group activities, as far as learning a new concept, so they learn as a "team." Finally, they get homework, which as we all know is used for two things, gaining a deaper understanding of the subject for the student, and as a tool for us to measure what they have learned through the lesson or activity.

Finally, I wanted to comment on one last thing. Looking back at the graphs and models in the chapter, I noticed one word that really drew my attention, and I think is very critical in developing good lesson plans, and that is the word " revision." I know last year I had some lessons that did not work out as I had planned, and even had to go back and redo that lesson. I know that student learning is our main goal, but I sometimes feel that our lessons teach us more than our students. Nothing is perfect the first time, so I really feel "revisions" are the key to getting the perfect lesson plans.

5 comments:

  1. I have learned the need to revise, too. I find that if I jot a note to myself, it reminds me of what didn't quite go right. Then, the following year I can look for a better demonstration or explanation, so my students aren't confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,

    I agree with your thought that photosharing might be complicated to tie into specific math lessons. But I like how you thought of taking pictures of students working so that parents could see what is going on in class. You mentioned that this is easier than parents coming into the classroom, do they really do that?

    I completely agree with the essential idea of revision. Two years ago, I tried to start writing comments on the bottom of my lesson plans so I could make changes the next year. Well, last year when I was planning I was so happy to see the lessons with comments (which trust me did not happen that often). It is my goal for next year to sit down everyday and jot a quick note on the lesson plan.

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,

    I agree with you, Jason. We learn a lot from our lessons. Lesson plans often do not carry on how I expected. Sometimes it goes better than I expected and other times it doesn’t go well than I wanted it to be. I think “revision” is the very important part of teaching.

    Yasue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason,

    I was able to come up with some ideas for photo sharing for my social studies classes, but I can see math is tougher! I liked your idea about pictures of your classes for the parents. Revising is an imprtant part of teaching! Cool pictures!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. i also stated the same thing about trying to incorporate these same steps into my plans as it is....and thought that most teachers probably already have half of these aspects in their plans and don't even know they are following the steps for instructional design the way it was laid out in 'proper' definition form.

    ReplyDelete