Wednesday, July 22, 2009

D/B8

First of all, I think that many, if not all, school districts would love to redesign and transform the system in which is in place right now. I think with the new tools and technology that is out there, who wouldn't want to be able to utilize those things; however, I just don't think that in this day-in-age it is very feasable for them to consider doing a full systemic change. Reason being, budget! Almost every day in the news I am seeing schools eliminating staff, cutting programs, and getting rid of classes. In order for an ecological systemic change to take place, A LOT of money is needed to actually start this process. Like the reading says, "a district must find permanent money in its budget to sustain improvements." I just don't think school districts nowadays can find that money with in their budgets. Now, is it probably worth it to find the money to do this, absolutely, but can school districts take that risk, I don't know. I sure am glad I am not the one that has to make that decision.

On the other hand, I can definitely see why some school districts would want to try a piecemeal change approach. I would imagine it would cost a great deal less, and there wouldn't be as much at stake if the change didn't produce the desired outcome. I do understand why this type of change rarely works, however, if there is any chance to make a significant change without having to completely overhaul the whole system and in turn save money, then I way go for it. Especially nowadays where saving money could be the deciding factor in whether or not your school stays open. I know it would be nice to try this in our school district, but again, the budget rules.

Finally, if a school district did have the funds to do a whole-district change, the "Step-Up-To-Excellence" process sounds like a great tool to use. Even low performing schools would be able to take advantage of this. The table on page 212 really does a pretty good job of laying out the steps and events needed to be successful in this change. There is however one thing I feel they have left out of the process: willing administrators,teachers, staff, and community that will be devoted and excited for this change. I feel there could be a lot of people not willing to put the time, effort, or money into something like that, even though our students would benefit in the long run. Without that, the change won't be effective.

3 comments:

  1. I just kept asking myself WHAT the change was for. Is it talking about changing the technology we use... or what? Like I said in my blog (that I'm sure you'll read) :), the 'systematic change' that is happening in our district doesn't seem to really be changing anything except words and public statements. It doesn't seem like these changes (which are just a series of meetings so far...) should cost much... So, in summary, I concur. -Suzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason,
    I agree that piecemeal change is more financially feasable, but I hadn't thought about the fact that there would be much less risk involved! Great point.
    Also - I wish the example in the books had stated what changes the schools made and the results. It seemed too general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A follow up on the result of the changes made by the schools would have been nice. What we read about was an idea that sounds good, but there was no evidence that it actually worked for these schools. I agree with you on the budget. Sysematic change is not in the cards right now.

    ReplyDelete