I have really been struggling with the readings of late. I found Chapter 18 very interesting to read, reason being is because I worked construction for the past 12 years. Now if I hadn't done that, I think I would have been really lost with what information was given.
Like I said earlier, I kind of enjoyed reading this chapter. It brought me back to my concrete days. I know most of you love teaching in the building that you are in, but have you actually stopped and thought about how that building actually got there? I have had a lot of experience working with designers/architects, project managers, and the technology that they use to design and build various buildings. I have lost count of the number of schools I was a part of constructing, but one thing is for sure, the first school I was a part of was so much different than the last one. The reason, technology.
When we first started bidding on jobs, our estimators sat down with the blueprint and pencil and had to figure out square footage, how much concrete would be needed to complete the job, how much reinforcing rod would be needed. Not anymore. They have the whole blueprint on disk. They can just put that into the computer and use various programs to figure out all those estimations. It is so much more effective and efficient. Having the blueprint on disk also makes it much easier for those working in the field. Any questions with measurements or dimensions can be easily be solved by being able to use computers to check those measurements. So technology is definitely playing a huge role in business, especially construction.
So how does this relate to education? Well I don't think it really does. However, I do think that education, and schools in general, could learn a few things from this. If it, technology, has had that much of an impact on business and industry, then it might (and will) have just as much of an impact in education, and I think that we are seeing that first hand in the schools we are in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jason-
ReplyDeleteNo wonder I didn't get it... I never had concrete days! :) I do see a connection with technology and construction... which is a business, but I was lost trying to connect what was in the chapter to teaching. It's sounds like I'm not the only one- so thanks for the reassurance. :) -Suzy
You are right...I never thought how any building I've taught in got there. I guess one connection to the chapter would be that it might be wise to have educators involved in the layout of a new building, since they are the ones using it!
ReplyDeleteJason, I definitely agree that this chapter sort of required previous experience in another field to fully understand it. I found that I could connect the ideas of sole-designer vs. consultants or team members because my husband works with various school districts as a consultant for their audio-visual needs. I do think that this is the business-y side of education that teachers rarely see. However, luckily for me, it made the chapter much more understandable.
ReplyDeleteDanelle Drake
Technology is changing the way business gets done, but it is a little slower coming to education. I feel that we will start to see the pace accelerate now, at least as much as the budget will allow.
ReplyDelete