Tuesday, July 14, 2009

D/B6

I probably won't be by a computer the rest of the week, so I'm trying to get my reflections done.

I read this chapter(14) twice because I had absolutely no idea what I read the first time, and still am not too sure about it after the second time. I thought this was a very hard chapter to read and was hard to keep my attention while reading it. I feel it didn't do that great of a job explaining things in simple terms. However, there is one thing I am going to take from this chapter, I now know how some of my students must feel after reading a section in their math book, completely clueless! I think the one thing that may have gotten me to some sort of understanding was the "rocking chair company" scenerio. They needed to train new craftsman to make the chairs, but in doing so, they need to find a way to do it fast and inexpensively. To do so, technology such as instructional programs and videos would be a likely answer. However, training alone isn't going to make a company successful. Along with the knowledge of making rocking chairs, there are other things that affect whether a company survives as laid out by Gilbert in his Behavior Engineering model. There needs to be other factors that make the worker want to work, besides sheer knowledge, such as incentives. Now I can definitely relate this to education, especially in my classroom. Everyone needs some sort of motivation or incentive, I know I do. It just makes the learning process so much more fun, and you are definitely more willing to do something if there is something in it for you. I may be way off on the understanding, but that is what I got out of it. Hopefully after reading your posts, your ideas will help me understand this a little better.

Now as for podcasting, I could definitely see using it at the college level. What a great thing to have if for some reason you would happen to miss a class and still want to hear the lecture. You could subscribe to that podcast and still feel like you were a part of the lecture, kind of like "lectures on tape." I know it wouldn't be the same as if you were there, but it would definitely be better than not hearing what went on at all, and you wouldn't feel like you were behind. Whether it be an audio or video podcast, I think it would be very beneficial. Finally, I know that one of the morning radio shows in Grand Rapids, "Free Beer and Hot Wings", does a podcast for those who really want to listen, but aren't able to when they are actually broadcasting. Podcasting offers convenience, if anything. You can listen when ever you want, no need to be at a certain place at a certain time.

Would podcasting work for high school? I think you could find a way for it to be helpful. I know when I was browsing iTunes for different podcasts, I had seen some Geometry podcasts that I am going to check out. I think if you would happen to find a podcast that relates to the topic or subject you are dealing with, it could serve as an extra tool for the students to turn to look at or listen to. I also thought that they could maybe even create their own podcast, instead of a written report. That would even be nice for me, I wouldn't have to read the report, I could just listen to it. It would be a nice change of pace for me, and probably a lot more fun for the kids.

8 comments:

  1. Jason,

    I also found the chapter very hard to read. I seemed to me that with the rocking chair company when they tried to solve the problem of training the apprentices, they just created another problem of justifying the existence of the trainers. This fits well with big companies, they cant just teach you what you are supposed to do (stock the shelves, help the customers, service with a smile) but they also teach you about investing money, sexual harrassment, health, community, technolgy, etc. I completely agreed with the quote from the book "the original missions of training departments become buried in the umult and confusion of interneal pressue and events (138)."

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podcasts have been used by a few teachers at Hopkins. One teacher left a video of her lecture to show her students when she had a sub (instead of trying to have the sub teach the lesson). I think that is an awesome way to use our new technology- although I guess it's not technically a podcast. I think I'd rather leave a video of my lecture for the sub to show than to rely on my sub being able to explain a music topic. :)-Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, I thought the idea you had of having students create a podcast instead of write a paper was genious. I don't think I would do this for every assignment, especially since students do need to know how to write papers, but I agree that it would be a nice break for both you and the students!

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that podcasts can be another tool students can use to learn about the current topic in class. I had never checked out podcasts before this assignment and I was really surprised how much is available. The key for me as a history teacher is...how accurate is the info?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason,
    I didn't find chapter 14 hard to understand at all! Of course I am very interested in the HPI/HPT "movement". I had the same idea about podcasts as you-recording for students to listen to again. :) KathyW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats how i felt i was like huh? and had to re-read the chapter again to get a grasp on the ideas they were trying to present. I too believe that motivation and incentive is a key drive to getting students or people to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason,
    I had a hard time with this chapter too. But what I really liked about it was the emphasis on "human capital", or for us students! I also like the idea of students doing a podcast for an assignment.

    Mark P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of using podcasting when college students miss the class. It will be much more better than copying classmate's notes. It will be very beneficial. And not only can you listen to podcasting whenever you like but also you can select to listen/watch any episodesyou wish. I think it is very convenient and productive.

    ReplyDelete