Thursday, July 9, 2009

D/B3

Social bookmarking is very cool. I'm just thinking for teachers, and me in general, how nice to be able to sort and keep track of all the different websites that I use throughout the year on one site. Three weeks ago, for some reason, I was trying to remember what website I used for Algebra worksheets and I could not remember for the life of me. Using a site like del.icio.us, I really wouldn't have to try and remember as long as I "tagged" it. What I really like most about social bookmarking is when I bookmark a certain site, it shows me who else has bookmarked the same site. Now that really isn't that big of a deal, but what is a big deal is that who ever tagged this site, probably has other sites tagged that might be of interest to me. For instance, I'm always looking for good Algebra sites to use as supplements to my class. With this, it gives me the option to see what other sites they think are worthy of bookmarking. I feel if it is worth bookmarking, then it must be a pretty good site. It kind of eliminates me having to search for Algebra sites through GOOGLE and deciding which sites are good and which ones aren't worth checking out. So as a teacher to teacher sharing tool, I think this is great.

Now, as far as the definitions of "Educational Technology", or is it "Instructional Technology", or is it "Instructional Design and Technology", or is it .....? I think before they come up with a definition for something, they need to know exactly what they are defining. Wow were all those definitions a little confusing to me. I read through that chapter twice, and the definitions more, and the definition that makes most sense in my mind is the 2006 AECT definition. When I read this definition, two words jump out at me as being key to the defintion, "improving" and "appropriate." I feel that many teachers may try to incorporate technology into the classroom, which is good, but if it isn't geared towards improving the students understanding of a concept, then the technology aspect has done no good. Likewise, if the technology isn't appropriate for the age, the class, or the lesson, the student gains nothing. Hopefully I will be able to recognize this in my own teaching. I don't want to be someone who throws in a little technology into the lesson to just change it up. I want it to be meaningful.

Finally, I wanted to address the last question posed as part of R/D3: "Does something seem to be missing?" I really think that the definition needs to include something about technology as a motivator in education. Anytime I use technology, i.e., calculators, in my lessons, I have over 95% participation compared to way less if I don't. With technology as big as it is nowadays, kids just love it when we get to learn fun things on the calculator. It definitely gets them more involved and interested.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, bookmarking as a teacher to teacher tool is fabulous! Saves everybody time. :)
    I really agree about making sure the technology we incorporate into our classroom really meets educational goals. I don't want to just spice up my lessons with a power point presentation or even a Web Quest. I want the educational purposes to be obvious and the process and result to be meaninful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,

    I am so happy I read your discussion! I did not think of using bookmarking for me. I do not know why but I was stuck in the mindset of how it might be helpful to others. Come to think of it, if parents had access to the websites teachers use to make supplement activities it might be helpful to them as well. If the parent wants to give their child extra practice on some topic they would be able to access them from the class blog.

    A great website I have found is www.kutasoftware.com They have free math worksheets with answer keys!

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,

    There are so many good sites and resources for teaching, and it is not easy to keep track on them as a lesson resource. Using social bookmarking, it is much easier to organize those sites. Also, it is more convenient to use social bookmarking than print technologies when you keep records for a few years.

    Yasue

    ReplyDelete