I chose to play around with Zoho. I think it is very similar to what Google Documents is. I have done a little bit with Google documents, so I decided to try something new. Zoho was just as easy to use and has very similar applications as the others. While I was messing around, I decided to actually make a "power point" presentation using what Zoho called "Zoho Show." It was pretty easy to use. I was able to make several slides, with some having photos. It was actually kind of fun. I have never used, or made, a presentation like that, but it sure would be handy to have for some of my lessons. The district I'm in is a little behind the times, as they say. We have two projectors that can hook up to the computer, but those are usually reserved to the Social Studies department (you know how they like their movies). Anyways, I would really like to someday be able to use stuff like this in my classroom. I do think no matter what office suite you chose to use, they would be similar and very easy to learn how to use.
I also chose to mess around with Picnik. In the past I have used Picassa to edit my photos and was excited to see that Picnik has even more editting tools. Things that Picnik offers that Picassa does not are adding frames, mattes, playing around with exposure, and many options to make a photo fun with eye color, stretching, neon color, and sketches. What I didn't like about Picnik is that you can only download one photo at a time unless you pay the monthly or yearly membership fee. This takes a lot of time if I wanted to edit quite a few pictures and then have to save them to my computer individually. I was glad that you can play around with much of the editting without paying. It's a decent price but not sure if I'd ever pay it since editting photos in my position wouldn't benefit me too much. I have tried to think of ideas of how to use an editting program in my classroom with either myself or students having to edit pictures, but haven't come up with any fun ideas yet. I will say that it was fun to play around with and I will use the program in the future since my wife takes many many pictures and loves to edit!
Here are a few pictures I played around with using Picnik!


Jason,
ReplyDeleteThose pictures turned out very nicely. I also agree that I have yet to come up with a need to edit photos in a math class. I will have to keep stetching my mind for that one.
I also tried Picnik but I was not able to find the border and rotation options that you used. I guess I will have to try again.
Jackie Sowle
I loved your pictures! You did a great job of editing them. :)
ReplyDelete