My first year of teaching at Colon was really a great experience, however, when it comes to technology, we really struggle. We barely have enough calculators to supply a whole class, and "Smart Boards" aren't even a thought when you are still using chalk boards, however, we do have projectors; two that are shared between 20-some teachers. I've been told that a new school addition and renovations have been in the works for quite some time, but they just can't convince the people that it is necessary. I think the people of Colon are asking the very question that Postman poses in his article, " What is the problem to which the new technologies are the solution?"
Now most of you probably think of "new technologies" as the fancy computers, high tech calculators, "Smart Boards", etc., I do too, however, I now have a new found meaning of using technology. Working in a low population, low income community, things like having a PA system that doesn't sound like you are going in and out of service as if on a cell phone, or outlets that actually work are considered technologically advanced. I hope I don't sound bitter towards anyone who actually has the use of all those nice "toys" because I'm not, I'm just really excited for the day when I get a chance to use them.
I do somewhat agree with Postman and his idea of technology in schools as more of a luxury than a necessity for learning. I would put any of my kids up against anyone who was had the opportunity to learn with technology. The use of fun "toys" doesn't make anyone smarter than the other just because they had the use of technology. Here's my feeling on using technology that opponents may not realize, like Postman. Students now-a-days are, for the most part, bored with the "old" teaching style, and are motivated a lot differently than even I was. So as a teacher, to get students even remotely interested in Math, I think technology offers another source of motivation. I've even thought about teaching via texting on my cell phone, maybe they would pay more attention!
A couple things that I am kind of concerned about with regard to what Reigeluth and Joseph mention in Table 2 is "Mastery Learning" and "Self-Directed Learning." I understand that we want every student to master every concept, that is kind of the goal in teaching, especially now that we are basing our funding on how well the kids do on a certain test. However, if we allow them to take as much time to master a certain skill as needed, we might not see some of our students graduate until they are 25. Now I realize that that probably isn't exactly what they mean by that, so that is probably something I would need to see in action. "Self-Directed Learning" is something that I am also a little concerned about. If students are given the content of what needs to be learned and the technology to do so, then I kind of feel like the students will be in the same situation as what we are taking this college course, learning from a computer, at home. Could this lead to schools closing? For my sake, I hope not. I hope that everyone realizes that, as Mr. Postman puts it, schools have "always been about how to learn and how to behave as part of a community." Isn't that the truth!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Think of it this way- there are some teachers who can throw in powerpoints, awesome graphic videos, etc, etc.... but the kids aren't advancing... while other teachers take their chalk and their overhead projectors and get their students attention by creating relationships and guiding them.
ReplyDeleteLisa didn't have any of the fancy technology and, after having her class compared to the classes that DID, her students were just as smart and behaved and kind as the other classes.
Don't worry about your job... I don't think any middle schooler could learn math online. :)
This is a test because I was told someone could not post to your blog!
ReplyDeleteSharon P.
I don't think we'll be closing our schools any time soon. :) There is a necessary human element to teaching that no computer can manage. When our students see our passion for our subject they will be more inclined to want to learn. And even though computers can say, "Good job!" or "Try again"...it just isn't the same as a word of encouragement from a teacher.
ReplyDeleteI, too, appreciate the point about being able to learn w/o technology but also having to balance that with reaching a generation who thoroughly enjoy the tech stuff!
Cindy